Sunday, April 15, 2012

‘Lightning-fast Japanese for Kids and Families’ Book Review

Japan is one of the top travel destinations on my wish list, so I am trying to learn Japanese. When the opportunity to review the book Lightning-fast Japanese for Kids and Families by Carolyn Woods became available, which is available in hard copy or as an ebook, I was excited.

The ebook version of Lightning-fast Japanese…looks clean and is simple to read. The book instructs the reader to continually integrate basic Japanese words and phrases into basic, everyday conversations. I agree with this method—you have to speak to learn and memorize a language. I like how Woods give the reader ideas about how to use the basic terms every day.

I personally would have found it more helpful if there was a better explanation of the Japanese characters used, like a breakdown of characters that correspond with the Japanese words. I would have also appreciated an explanation of the Japanese words that have the same or similar meanings, such as the words “aka” and “akai,” which can both mean “red.” “Aka,” however, also means “grime.”

Better editing would have also benefited this publication. For example, at the end of page 14, the reader is supposed to learn to say, “I would like three more…” in Japanese. The pronunciation guide after the Japanese characters, however, that is supposed to help the reader pronounce the phrase is in Spanish. Oops. The author tells the reader to say, “Quisiero tres más…, por favor.” Unfortunately, the Spanish grammar is incorrect. (The correct way to say this is, “Quiero tres más…”)

My Recommendation

I enjoyed this book. I recommend, however, that you wait for the second edition. If an individual is to pay full price for a book, the book should be fully accurate.

Find Carol Woods on Facebook and Twitter.



I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free from Carolyn Woods. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment