It was a hot day. I really wanted to drink something cool, like a milkshake, but everything is so high-carb. After a bit of tinkering in the kitchen and remembering a happy accident that involved pouring a drink mix into the wrong cup (the one with my morning protein shake), I came up with this low-carb drink recipe. I think it tastes similar to an Orange Julius.
I used a mason jar because I can screw the bottom of the blender, the part with the blade, to jar's mouth.
- 4-cup mason jar filled half-way with crushed ice
- 1 scoop protein powder (I use the bulk whey protein powder from Winco)
- 1/2 packet orange Crystal Light
- Unsweetened vanilla almond milk, fill to the 4-cup line of the mason jar (I use the Costco brand)
- Sweetener to taste
- Place all the ingredients in a 4-cup mason jar.
- Screw the bottom of the blender -- the O-ring, blade and bottom cap -- onto the top of the mason jar.
- Blend until smooth.