Monday, May 23, 2011

"Pura vida?" Stop, turn the car around!

"Stop, turn the car around!"

Image from Wikipedia. (I think
aunt has the same plates.)
My husband and I were on our way to get a bite to eat. While driving through one of the bigger cities in our local metro area, I saw the words, "Pura Vida!" on the side of a red building that is barely large enough to house a restaurant. Then, I read up the sign by the front door: "Casados...Costa Rica..."

*Click*

My heart immediately began to flutter. Was it true? There is a Costa Rican restaurant in this state? What? Hardly able to contain myself, I had my husband whip the car around so I could investigate this finding.

At first glance, I was not even sure the place, Casa del Pollo, was open. The sign on the door said they were open until 6 pm on Sundays; they closed in five minutes. I walked in anyways and asked to take a menu and business card. After the owners learned that I, too, am a "Tica," they instructed my husband and me to sit and eat.

The menu is simple and offers casados, tacos, burritos (??) and a vegetarian dish. My husband and I both ordered casados with chicken, which is a plate that comes with rice, black beans, chicken and a pickled vegetables (no fried egg, tortillas or plantains). Then, came the excited questions from the owners: Who is your family? What city are you from? What high school did you attend? When did you move to the U.S.? So, you went to college? Where do you work? Do you know any other Ticos (Costa Ricans)? How did you find (the restaurant)? Do you want to come to the (Costa Rican) Independence Day picnic? Were you ever teased about Tía Florita? Do you want to come to our church? Do you know what, there is this one girl that...gossip, gossip, gossip.

We made instant friends at Casa del Pollo. I cannot wait until they expand their menu, which will include gallo pinto (black beans and rice mixed together). Eating there is like eating a home-cooked meal that I did not have to prepare.






No comments:

Post a Comment