Thursday, May 22, 2014

Succulents in a Martini Glass

I always see cute succulent arrangements online and wanted to make one.

The best source of creative planters, in my opinion, is Goodwill. I found the giant martini glass pictured for about $4. 

No, the glass does not have a drainage hole. Instead, I lined the bottom with large pieces of a broken ceramic pot, which you can often get for free from garden centers. I then placed regular cactus soil over the broken pieces and planted the succulents.

To create the bubbly look:
  1. Place clear marbles on top of the dirt, around the plants.
  2. Sprinkle white sand over any exposed dirt.
  3. Use a small, dry paint brush to remove any sand from the leaves of the plants.
  4. Gently spray the marbles with water to remove the dust from the sand.

With this type of arrangement, I don't drench the plants with water. I use a pump-action spray bottle to water them. 



The arrangement has echeveria croma, small aloes, regular and variegated "string of buttons" crassulas, sedum capo blanco and sedum spirilum.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment